Receive an early morning pickup from your Cusco hotel and transfer to the train station in Ollantaytambo. You’ll travel by rail through the winding river valleys to reach Aguas Calientes, the gateway town for Machu Picchu. You’ll make one more transfer to a bus for the zig-zagging ride up mountain switchbacks to reach the famous “lost city” of the Inca.
Once you’ve entered the park, spend the next two hours enjoying a guided tour of the site. You’ll get a closer look at Machu Picchu highlights including the sacred solar clock, the Royal Quarters, main plaza, and the Temple of the Three Windows, plus much more. You’ll have more time after the guided tour to explore this wondrous world heritage site on your own.
At the end of your Machu Picchu visit, head back down to Aguas Calientes to grab some food before taking the train back to Ollantaytambo. You’ll be dropped off at your hotel in Cusco in the evening. A full itinerary with timing is listed below.
• 5:15am: Pick up from hotel and transfer to the train station in Ollantaytmabo (car trip of 1 hour 30 minutes)
• 7:20am: Board the train and head to the town of Aguas Calientes (train ride 2 hours)
• 9:20am: Board a bus from Aguas Calientes to Machu Picchu (bus ride 30 minutes)
• Once you arrive at Machu Picchu, enjoy a 2-hour guided visit covering the site's most important landmarks
• After the tour, you will have time to explore Machu Picchu on your own
• Follow your visit, take the bus back to Aguas Calientes
• 4:12pm: Board the train to return to Ollantaytambo, then transfer to a car for the trip to Cusco.
• 8:00pm: Arrive Cusco
• Transfer to the hotel