Sitting at the southeastern end of the steps leading up to the Rialto Bridge, the lively Campo San Bartolomeo is named after one of the Apostles; at its southwestern end is the church of San Bartolomeo, which was formerly the place of worship for German traders in the city. The long, narrow piazza is dominated by a flamboyant bronze statue of comic Venetian playwright Carlo Goldoni (1707–93), created in 1883 by sculptor Antonio Dal Zotto. Thanks to its location near the Rialto, it is nearly always crowded and is a popular meeting point for visitors and locals alike. It is lined with smart boutiques and restaurants fronting elegant, ocher-tinged Venetian townhouses and just a step away from the city’s upmarket shopping district of Mercerie, whose narrow streets link the Rialto Bridge with Piazza San Marco.
Campo San Bartolomeo, Castello, Venice. Ferry to Rialto.