King’s Park, also known as Kungsparken, became the first large park in Malmo when it was established by King Oscar II of Sweden in 1872. Originally called Castle Park, it was developed on ground that was once home to the Malmohus Castle fortifications. Covering more than 21 acres in the center of the city, the park was inspired by the English-style of landscape gardening at the time.
The park is home to 130 tree species from three different continents, including a 29-meter tall Turkish oak tree, a 100-year-old sweet chestnut tree and a “tree of heaven” from China. The grounds also feature a variety of flowers, several ponds and an artificial grotto. A cast iron fountain was added to the center of the park in 1882 and a restaurant was built in 1912 that today is home to the Malmo Casino, one of only four legal casinos in Sweden. A 2008 renovation restored much of the park to its 19th century character.
King’s Park is located just west of Malmo’s Old Town, bordering Mariedalsvagen and Regementsgatan. Bus 24 runs along Regementsgatan and stops just outside the park. It is also a short walk (less than 15 minutes) from Malmo Central Station or the Malmo GustavAdolfs torg bus stop.