Old High Church Tours

30 reviews
Looking down on the city from St Michael’s Mount on the banks of the River Ness, the historic Old High Church is the oldest church in Inverness and famed as the seat of the first congregation in Inverness, with roots dating back to Celtic times. Legend has it that St Columba of Iona, the Irish monk who introduced Christianity to Inverness, once preached from the hilltop on the very spot where the church stands today.

Despite its Celtic roots, the present church building mostly dates back to the 18th century, although parts of the Bell tower from the 14th century remain, and is notable for its restored Willis Organ and Iona marble chancel. Along with its long history of worship, the church was also used as a prison and execution ground after the Battle of Culloden in 1746. Regular Sunday services are held in the Church year round.
Location
Address: Old High Church, Church Street, Inverness, Inverness-shire IV1 1EY, Scotland
Read More

Tours & Activities (0)

Close
icon-filterFilter
Clear all

No results found!

Sort by:Default

Phone
Having trouble booking online?
(888) 651-9785
Call (888) 651-9785