A landmark of Chicago’s skyline and a masterpiece of architecture, The Rookery was one of the most expensive buildings in the city’s history when it was completed in 1888. It is considered one of the oldest historic high rises in Chicago. It was named not only for the many pigeons and crows that inhabited the exterior of the building, but also for the corrupt politicians that once worked within its walls.
Housing over 600 office spaces, it was constructed by John Wellborn Root and Daniel Burnham, with Frank Lloyd Wright’s remodel of the lobby “Light Court” added in 1905. Wright designed and installed the intricate stairways, rails, and light fixtures. After the Great Chicago Fire it served as an interim City Hall. It is a designated Chicago landmark, a U.S. National Historic Landmark, and was inducted into the U.S. National Register of Historic Places.
The Rookery can be found in Chicago’s financial district, at 209 South LaSalle Street. It is open from 8 am to 6 pm.